Search This Blog

Saturday, July 30, 2016

Spicy Bacon

buttermilk waffles, homemade whipped cream, and spicy bacon on a weekend breakfast

This is the best bacon recipe I've every found. I always make it on Thanksgiving with pumpkin pancakes, but lately I've been making it for very special breakfasts. It's not THAT spicy, it has just enough spice that your tongue tingles a bit, and your mouth fills with warm heat and sticky sweetness. Excuse me while I wipe the drool off my chin. The secret to this recipe is THICK CUT bacon. Not all bacon is created equal. When you're buying bacon, get the good stuff. Make sure it's equal parts meat and fat, and see if it's the same size at each end of the strip. My personal favorite is the thick sliced Applewood Smoked bacon that is sold at Costco. Excuse med while I wipe the drool off my chin again. Out of all my breakfast parties, this dish has been consistently oohed and ahhed. So, if you need a wow'em breakfast dish, this is your recipe. And, the best part of this recipe, it pairs very well with a mimosa! OR, for the man in my life...he likes it as a garnish in a bloody mary. 


Spicy Bacon 


16 slices bacon, thick cut (see above)
1 cup light brown sugar 
1 tsp. black pepper 
1 tsp. cayenne pepper (use more if you'd like, just don't kill your taste buds...or your guests) 
spicy bacon
 1. Preheat oven to 350, and prepare baking sheets. Take a rimmed baking sheet and line it with foil. Place a wire rack on top of foil lined baking sheet. Lay strips of bacon on top of wire rack and bake 10 minutes. Combine sugar and peppers. Flip bacon over, and bake another 10 minutes. 

 2. Sprinkle 2 teaspoons of brown sugar pepper mixture along each strip of bacon. Use your fingertips to rub the mixture into the bacon. Place bacon into oven, bake 10 minutes. Remove from oven, flip bacon over, and sprinkle another teaspoon of brown sugar pepper mixture on back of each strip of bacon. Stick the bacon back into the oven for another 10 minutes, or until the bacon is cooked and crispy, and the brown sugar pepper mixture has caramelized all over the bacon strips. 

 Serve and enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment