Search This Blog

Saturday, January 16, 2016

Like You Mom

We take pictures of everything. Selfies, food, our kids, selfies, pets, art, clouds, selfies, the world around us, friends, the dinner table, more selfies, half face selfies, duck lips, laughter, blurry selfies, feet crossed looking over the ocean, selfies EVERYWHERE!  I often look through pictures of myself on Facebook, and I see myself gradually getting uglier.  Every now and then I see a good picture of myself, and I'm like, "hey, check you out!" But, that's not what I really look like, because I'm wearing makeup.  Whoever she is, she's kind of pretty.  
As I scroll through the pictures, I say to myself, 'Make up Hannah.  Just once in awhile.'  I hate putting on makeup.  I hate how much better I look with makeup on.  I hate that I feel like I need to wear it.  I hate how much my face changes when the makeup comes off.
Zade goes to bed a little later than the two little ones.  We've been getting into the habit of watching TV from my bed, while snuggling in our pajamas.  Tonight, we watched Brie Larson win a Golden Globe for best actress for her role as Ma, in Room.  I read the book. I refused to watch the movie, it just seems too sad.  But, I admired and respected the character, she is one of the strongest female characters in modern literature, and it would have been a very difficult role to play.  As Brie walks up to accept her award, in her beautiful gold sequined dress, looking like classic, sparkling,  Hollywood glam, Zade says, "Oh she's pretty!"
"Yes, she is!" I reply.
"Like you, mom."

1 comment:

  1. awww...he's a sweetheart. And you are too pretty, without make-up.

    ReplyDelete